DCU Saints Upset Cork Admirals 6-2


2-6 Saints: Rudi Corcoran, run. PAT blocked, returned for 2pt touchdown by Admirals.

Game Photos

All photos by Jeff Dowling
[nggallery id=19]

Game Report

Game Report by the DCU Saints

DCU Saints hosted Cork Admirals at the DCU Sports ground for an eagerly awaited rematch of the close encounter from last year when DCU were victorious in a tight low scoring game. Both sides were missing key players and were testing each other out for the first couple of drives. Both offensives made progress only for the defense to step up and stop the drives. The first quarter was scoreless.

Starting the second quarter, DCU Saints led by QB Scott Mifsud and with rookie RB Rudi Corcoran put together a drive that got DCU into the Cork Redzone. Mifsud handed off to Corcoran who bounced outside for a diving TD.

DCU Saints went for the extra point but the blocked kick resulted in the Cork defense picking up the ball and running back for a safety. Score DCU 6-2 Cork.

Cork responded from the kickoff with a mazy, darting run from WR Eric Tkascik bringing the ball into Saints half. However the offense stalled and DCU took over. The pattern of play remained like this until the last two minutes of the quarter when DCU took over possession in their redzone and quickly moved the ball up the field and got into Corks redzone until the clock ran out.

The second half of the game was again very tight. Both teams traded possession and the hits at times were ferocious. With both teams running the ball primarily, the clock ran continously until both teams found themselves with minutes left. Once again Cork put on a drive that looked like it may crack the Saints defense. Cork’s WR Eric Tsascik caught a pass over the middle and was clattered by Safety Conor Buggle and incredibly held onto the ball when he landed. Cork had used up their time outs and went with a hurry up offense. The DCU backfield stood resolute and held back the pressure. With only, the Cork QB went to the air and passed long. Safety Conor Buggle who also was returning punts during the game, intercepted the ball and held onto it as the game ended. DCU were relieved to get their first win of the season.