American Football Ireland (AFI) is seeking applications for the role of Director of Flag Football. AFI is the National Governing Body for American Football in Ireland and is recognised as such by Sport Ireland and the International Federation of American Football (IFAF). At present AFI is a volunteer-run organisation with are over 3,000 active members involved in the sport at various levels. This is a volunteer position.
AFI is managed by a Board of Management, members of which are elected by the membership, who appoint Directors to oversee various sections of the sport. The Director of Flag Football reports directly to the board of AFI.
The Director of Flag Football will have overall responsibility for coordinating, organising and running all aspects the AFI flag football programme. This will include putting in place the framework under which competitions and leagues operate and assisting interested parties who wish to field a flag football team. The director will implement those parts of the operational plan and strategic plan relating to AFI Flag Football. He/she will be assisted by a committee of selected members.
AFI is an equal opportunity association. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for the position without regard to race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, or status as a qualified individual with a disability.
- Develop, coordinate, implement, and evaluate a comprehensive Flag Football programme to include teams, leagues, tournaments, and specials events.
- Direct, supervise and expand flag football programmes within the community in accordance with the strategic and operations plans and meet AFI overall objectives and guidelines
- Responsible for overseeing of the development of new and existing flag football clubs or clubs’ flag football teams under the premise of AFI Flag Football
- Develop and maintain policies, procedures and guidelines to revise and/or formulate AFI flag football policies and promote their implementation
- Conduct ongoing assessment and evaluation of all AFI Flag Football programmes performances and implement programme changes and/or enhancements as needed to improve the presence and development of Flag Football in Ireland
- Supervise, train and support assigned volunteers, develop, plan and implement new procedures, systems and methods to ensure the promotion of AFI Flag Football programme growth, safety, member satisfaction and member retention through programme participation and development
- Liaise with AFI Board and management team to work on meeting operational plans and strategic goals
- Develop, manage, and review the annual directorate budget; manage and implement the approved annual budget and take appropriate action to create, monitor, forecast, and align operations to coincide with annual plan, adjusting where necessary to deliver a balanced budget and promote profitability of all flag football related programmes
- Liaise with the Director of Coaching to meet coaching requirement and development for all teams/clubs and for AFI Flag Football
- Liaise with the Director of Officiating to meet officiating training and development for all teams/clubs and for AFI Flag Football
- Liaise with the Communications Officer to keep all Flag Football related information on the AFI website and social media outlets current and relevant
- Liaise with the National Programme general manager to help develop a relevant National Flag Football programme
- Interview/hire/train committee members
- Give assignments/projects for committee members to work on and follow up on results.
- Coordinate regular meetings with the AFI Flag Football Committee.
- Responds to all member and community inquiries and complaints in timely manner
Responsible for all AFI Flag Football games operations
- Represent and promote AFI Flag Football in the community as needed and develop positive working relationships with other organizations, business and governmental entities
- Complete additional duties as assigned by the AFI board
- Thrive on working in a collaborative environment
- Very adaptable
- Passionate and self-motivated individual to lead successful sports programmes and activities
- Have high ownership and strong work ethic
- Truly enjoy being of service to people
- Must have knowledge of the game of Flag Football and be at least 18 years of age
- Background and experience officiating and/or playing American football/flag football is required
- Excellent organizational and leadership abilities
- Outstanding communication and people skills
- Knowledge of AFI’s policies, rules and guidelines
- Shall appoint all committee members
- One year management experience in coordinating sports and/or leagues
- Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions and perceptions
- Takes initiative to assist in developing others. Builds rapport and relates well to others
- Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict
- Effectively tailor communications to the appropriate audience
- Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience
- Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another
- Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings
- Effectively manages budgets
- Ability to manage programs to a diverse population
If you would like to apply for the role of AFI Director of Flag Football, please send your CV, outlining your qualifications and experience, along with a cover letter outlining your suitability and the names and contact details (phone and email) of two references to recruitment @americanfootball.ie. Please submit all items in PDF format where possible. Applications will only be accepted up to 5pm on the 28th February.