The Irish American Football Association (IAFA) is the National Governing Body for the sport of American Football in Ireland and is responsible for all regulatory, competition, performance and development aspects of the game.
IAFA’s mission, as the national governing body, is to promote and teach all aspects of American Football in a fun and positive environment while adhering to our core values.
We as an association aim to run the association with the utmost integrity, honesty and transparency at all times, through consistent and fair decision making and application of IAFA’s By-laws and constitution. We, as an association, are accountable to our membership.
We, as an association, aim to ensure respect between fellow team-mates, coaches, clubs, officials and administration and support them in all and any endeavours. We believe in fair play and creating a safe and fun environment throughout the association.
We, as an association, aim to create a diverse membership that doesn’t discriminate against individuals or clubs. We aim to provide an inclusive and family friendly environment for all.
We, as an association, aim to strive for excellence through constant review and development of all aspects of the association. We will set, work towards and aim to continuously achieve the highest of standards to inspire participation and further evolve the sport in the country at both club and national level.
We, as an association, aim to commit to working together to promote and combine the skills of all members in a coordinated manner to assist and develop the association at all levels and to help us reach the association’s goals more efficiently. We will rely on each other and understand each individual has a part to play.
IAFA’s activities are many and varied and include the following:
- The organisation and promotion of all amateur domestic national competitions across both contact and non contact versions of the game.
- The organisation and promotion of the national teams in international competition.
- The promotion of the game to people of all ages, backgrounds and abilities and the provision of opportunities for their engagement and development.
- The regulation of the game on and off the field of play through oversight of its rules.
- The representation of the Irish game to national and international partners, be they sporting organisations, federations or commercial interests.
The Irish American Football Association is recognised by Sport Ireland and the Federation of Irish Sports and is in the process of becoming an associate member of the International Federation of American Football (IFAF).
Management & Operations
The Irish American Football Association has a board and a staffing structure comprised of directors and officers who support the delivery of the sport across a series of directorates. You can find the list of IAFA board members, directors and supporting officers here.